Sep 22, 2017
Title of Certificate: Mechatronics Technology, Certificate
Total Credit Hours: 28
About the Engineering Department
Purpose: A compressed program leading to a 28-credit Mechatronics Technology Certificate in as little as one year. Participants need no previous experience and will be prepared for entry-level jobs in an integrated multidisciplinary industrial environment. Instruction in mechatronics provides students with the knowledge and hands-on training in electronics, mechanics and computers to work in a variety of industrial and manufacturing related businesses. The certificate offers employment preparation opportunities, as well as, the opportunity to upgrade and improve existing skills.
Range of Occupations
- Mechatronic technician
- Robotic technician
- Industrial automation technician
- Electro-mechanical fitter
Financial Aid: This program has not been approved by the U.S. Department of Education for eligibility for federal student aid. Students enrolled in this program may not be eligible to receive financial aid from the U.S. Department of Education (Pell Grants, SEOG, Federal Work-Study, Direct Loans or PLUS loans) or the Maryland Higher Educations Commission (Educational Assistance Grants, Senatorial Scholarships or Delegate Scholarships). For current information on eligible programs, contact Financial Aid by calling 410-777-2203, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or stopping by a Financial Aid office.
Certificate Graduation Requirements
To graduate with a certificate, students must have demonstrated eligibility for ENG 111 or ENG 115 . See Academic Regulations for all Graduation Requirements.
Certificate Requirements: 28 credits
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Function as technicians in an integrated multidisciplinary industrial environment.
- Complete the Level 1 Certification Examination and become certified Siemens Mechatronics System Assistants.
- Assemble or disassemble basic mechanical components and electrical drives in a mechatronics system
- Discuss the basic functions and physical properties of mechanical components and electrical AC and DC drives; materials, lubrication requirements and surface properties.
- Practice systematic preventative maintenance and safety
- Interpret technical documentation such as data sheets and specifications of mechanical elements and electrical drives.
- Operate pneumatic, electro pneumatic and hydraulic control circuits in a complex mechatronic system.
- Discuss the functions and properties of control elements based upon physical principles, and the roles they play within the system.
- Interpret technical documentation such as data sheets, circuit diagrams, displacement step diagrams and function charts.
- Complete measurements on the pneumatic and hydraulic control circuits
- Perform preventive maintenance of components and systems.
- Program and operate digital logic circuits and programmable logic controllers (PLCs) in a mechatronics system using an automation system.
- Localize PLC hardware generated problems.
- Write programs and use problem-solving skills while using computer simulations of systems.
- Explain the basic concepts of robotics, focusing on the construction and programming of autonomous mobile robots and Industrial Robots.
- Function in groups to build and test increasingly more complex robots, culminating in an end-of-semester robot project.
- Build analyze and troubleshoot direct and alternating current circuits.
- Interpret and create 2 dimensional (2D) drawings and 3D solid models.
- Integrate those 3D models into an assembly.
- Complete the Solidworks examination to become certified as a SolidWorks Associate.
- Localize and identify causes and sources of malfunctions, and correct where possible.
- Document malfunctions to be passed on to the appropriate experts.
- Exchange or replace defective components, where appropriate.
- Recognize potential or impending malfunctions and contact expert assistance in order to keep the production line functioning and to prevent production loss.
- Consult with experts.
This program aligns with the college’s core competencies.
Career and Educational Advancement Resources