Sep 19, 2017
Title of Certificate: Culinary Arts, Certificate
Total Credit Hours: 25
About the Hotel, Culinary Arts and Tourism Institute
Purpose: Prepares students for employment in the hospitality industry such as in a restaurant or hotel. The Culinary Arts Certificate prepares students for entry-level food preparation positions in a variety of hospitality industries, such as hotels, clubs, airlines, cruise ships or restaurants.
Range of Occupations
- Banquet cook
- Lead cook
Additional Program Requirements:
Students are required to wear an approved chef uniform for production classes. See course description for specifics.
Statewide Tuition Reduction Program
This program of study may be designated a Statewide Tuition Reduction Program. This means that some residents of Maryland (see the Tuition, Fees and Payments section of this catalog) enrolled in this program of study by the first day of the term may be eligible for in-county tuition rates for courses required for program completion. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm that this program still maintains a Statewide Program status before enrolling. Please refer to the college’s Accounts Receivable Office to confirm this designation.
Certificate Graduation Requirements
To graduate with a certificate, students must have demonstrated eligibility for ENG 111 or ENG 115 . See Academic Regulations for all Graduation Requirements.
Financial Aid: This program has not been approved by the U.S. Department of Education for eligibility for federal student aid. Students enrolled in this program may not be eligible to receive financial aid from the U.S. Department of Education (Pell Grants, SEOG, Federal Work-Study, Direct Loans or PLUS loans) or the Maryland Higher Educations Commission (Educational Assistance Grants, Senatorial Scholarships or Delegate Scholarships). For current information on eligible programs, contact Financial Aid by calling 410-777-2203, emailing email@example.com or stopping by a Financial Aid office.
Certificate Requirements: 25 credits
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Apply accepted professional standards and codes of conduct in the workplace.
- Explain hospitality and culinary terminology.
- Analyze methods of service and management principles for all hospitality operations.
- Describe the dynamics of the changing global business environment.
- Discuss food and dietary issues from cultural, religious, historical, and geographical perspectives.
- Operate commercial kitchen equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Demonstrate proper cooking and sanitation techniques.
- Analyze marketing strategies to serve the current needs of the hospitality industry.
- Discuss contemporary hospitality and culinary trends.
- Apply accepted nutrition standards that lead to positive health benefits.
- Apply appropriate math skills to culinary arts operations and business environments.
This program aligns with the college’s core competencies.
Career and Educational Advancement Resources