Dec 06, 2022  
2015-2016 Catalog 
2015-2016 Catalog [PAST CATALOG]

Academic Regulations

For questions regarding academic regulations, contact an academic adviser.

Credit Hours

A credit hour is the unit by which academic work is measured. Each course is assigned a number of credit hours and these are specified in the section of this catalog titled Credit Courses of Instruction. A student enrolled in a face-to-face course should expect approximately 15 hours of instruction for each credit hour.

Student Classification

Students who have been admitted to the college are classified as follows: 0 to 27 credit hours earned - first-year student (freshman); 28 or more credit hours earned - second-year student (sophomore).

Hours Attempted and Earned

Hours attempted means the total number of credit hours in all the credit courses for which students receive one of the letter grades listed under Grades and Quality Points (see Grades and Quality Points).

Hours earned means the total number of credit hours in all the credit courses for which students receive a letter grade of D or higher. No credit hours are earned with a grade of F or FX or a grade designator of W, WP or WF.

Each grade report shows the credit hours attempted and earned for the term. Grade reports can be accessed through the student’s MyAACC page under Self Services.

Equivalent Hours

The college offers developmental courses and some courses for which academic credit is not granted. These are known as equivalent hour courses. Hours spent in equivalent courses are not included in hours attempted, hours earned or in computation of the grade point average. They are counted in computing total course load and tuition. This means that students who are limited to a maximum number of credits may take only that total of combined credit and equivalent hours.

Audit of Courses

Students who wish to be under no obligation for regular attendance, preparation, recitation or examination, and who do not wish to receive any credit, may register for a course as auditors. In a 15-week term, students may change registration from credit to audit during the first three weeks of classes. For terms shorter than 15 weeks, the audit period will be defined proportionately.

Since no credit hours are attempted or earned and no quality points are given for an audited class, the course will not be included in calculation of the student’s grade point average. Audited courses are not eligible for graduation requirements, calculation toward students’ full-time or part-time enrollment status or toward financial aid. The designator AU will be entered on the student’s academic record. Regular tuition and fees apply to audited courses. A student may not receive credit for a course that is audited.

Enrollment/Changing a Schedule

Change from Noncredit to Credit

Some courses are offered as both credit and continuing education noncredit. Students who register may wish to change from one status to the other. In a regular term, students who wish to make this change must do so during the first three weeks of a 15-week term. For terms shorter than 15 weeks, the change period will be defined proportionately.

Dropping Courses

Through the first week of classes of a 15-week term or the equivalent for other terms, students may drop a course, which means that all entries for the course are dropped completely from students’ transcripts. To accomplish this, students must file a Credit Registration • Add • Drop Form at the Records and Registration office or use MyAACC. The last day upon which courses may be dropped, is available on the students’ MyAACC page under My Classes. All courses in which a student is enrolled after the final drop date will be entered permanently into their academic record.

Class Enrollment

Students must register for a course before they enter or participate in the class and may not enroll after the established last day to add a class. Students must switch class sections of a course or add a course during the add period.

Withdrawal from Courses

A student may withdraw from a class after the final drop date through the 12th week of a 15 week session or the equivalent date in a shorter session. When a student withdraws an entry of W signifying withdrawal is entered into their record. To withdraw, a student must file a Credit Registration • Add • Drop Form or withdrawal using MyAACC self services. If these methods of withdrawal are not feasible due to extraordinary circumstances, contact the Records and Registration office to request an oral withdrawal request be considered.

After the final withdrawal date and through the last day of classes, as specified in the academic calendar, students may make a request to withdraw from the college or from individual courses by consulting with an academic adviser in the Counseling, Advising and Retention Services office, obtaining an adviser’s signature on a late withdrawal form and filing the late withdrawal form at the Records and Registration office. Students who are passing on the date of the withdrawal will be assigned a grade indicator of WP (withdraw passing) on their permanent record. Students who are failing on the date of the withdrawal will receive a grade of F.

Students who have withdrawn and received a grade of F may petition the Committee on Academic Standards to authorize the instructor to change the grade of F to WF (withdraw failing). Such students must provide verification to the committee that they could not complete the course for one of the following reasons:

  1. Death in immediate family.
  2. Student incapacitated due to serious illness.
  3. Change in hours or location of employment.
  4. Uncontrollable circumstances of a serious nature.

Students who have more than 10 entries of W, WP and WF may be required to meet with an academic adviser to review their educational plan before their next registration.

Students receiving financial aid should consult the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy before withdrawing from any courses.

Short and Long-term Military Deployment

Reasonable accommodation will be granted to students showing satisfactory academic progress who are called to military service (appropriate documentation is required). All active duty and reserve military students should check with instructors on or before the first day of class to determine course policy with regard to short term deployment (e.g. the attendance policy for the course). Most courses are structured such that a single deployment of one to two weeks during a term allow for the student to complete the work missed upon return or take an incomplete. Incompletes may be taken only with permission and cooperation of the instructor. It is the responsibility of the student to complete all work missed whether taking an incomplete or completing the work in a timely manner within the term enrolled. Students taking an incomplete should refer to the Incomplete Work section. Student communication with the instructor is key.

However, a few courses have internal or external requirements such that make-up work cannot be accommodated. Students deployed while taking such a course must withdraw (see below). Students showing satisfactory academic progress and having to leave a program due to military service requirements must withdraw from the course(s) and will be allowed to re-enter the program by retaking the course or courses from which they had to withdraw. There are courses in some programs in which the student may be able to take an “incomplete” and finish the course in cooperation with the instructor, even with deployments that extend beyond one to two weeks of time. Military students suspending studies in courses with required lab components, clinical components, and/or competency requirements will be allowed re-entry provided the student meets standard departmental and/or program entry requirements. The student will be re-entered into an open seat in the next available class cycle.


Grades and Quality Points

A letter grade is assigned for each course in which students are enrolled at the end of the term. A grade submitted by the faculty member can be viewed in a student’s MyAACC account. The MyAACC term grade report page is printable or a student may request a mailed paper copy of all grades for the term. A quality point value per credit hour in the course is assigned to each letter grade. These are summarized below.

Meaning Quality Point Value per Credit Hour in Credit Courses

A Excellent 4  
B Good 3  
C Average 2  
D Poor 1  
F Failing 0  
FX Failure due to never having attended or ceasing to attend class at or before the midpoint of the course. In the case of students in distance learning courses, an FX grade may be awarded to students who have never participated or ceased to participate in the course. 0  

The number of quality points earned for each credit course is the product of the credit hour rating of the course multiplied by the quality point value of the letter grade assigned. For example, students who complete a three-hour credit course with a C grade earn three times two, or six quality points; those who complete a four-hour credit course with a B earn four times three, or 12 quality points. The calculation of a student’s adjusted GPA does not include previous attempts of a repeated course or grades for both courses when receipt of credit is restricted to only one of the paired courses (example: credit is not given for both MAT-141 and MAT-151). See an academic adviser with questions.

  Grade designations not included in the calculation of the GPA.  

  AU Audit
  CO Continue
  I Incomplete
  NG No Grade
  PA Pass (equivalent to a grade of C or better)
  R Repeat
  S Satisfactory progress
  U Unsatisfactory progress
  UX Unsatisfactory due to lack of attendance
  W Withdraw
  WP Withdraw Passing
  WF Withdraw Failing
  Y Course forgiveness

Pass/Fail Grades

The PA grade represents a grade of C or better in courses designated Pass/Fail (PA/F).

Students with a PA grade earn the stated number of credit hours, but a PA grade has no quality point value and is not computed in the grade point average (GPA).

Change of Grades

The instructor of a course is the only individual authorized to assign a grade or to change a grade. Once a grade has been assigned and entered into a student’s record, an instructor may request the registrar to make a grade change only if there has been an error in the determination of the grade. Otherwise, a grade once entered is final and shall not be changed except when it can be unequivocally demonstrated that it was physically or emotionally impossible for the student to file a withdrawal form because of incapacity or sudden, forced departure from the area.  In such a case, the student may petition the Committee on Academic Standards to authorize the instructor to change a grade of F to WP (withdraw passing) or WF (withdraw failing).

Should a student have a grievance about an assigned grade or evaluation rating, the student should follow the grievance about academic assessment procedure .

Incomplete Work

The grade designator of I (incomplete) is assigned only in exceptional circumstances and is a temporary grade. It will be given only to students who cannot complete the work of a course on schedule because of illness or other circumstances beyond their control. Unless the work is completed by the date approved by the instructor in the course, but not later than 30 days after the beginning of the next 15-week term, a grade of F will be recorded for the course.

Continue Work

The grade designator of CO (Continue) is assigned temporarily when a student has the opportunity to master the course competencies through class work prior to the beginning of the next 15-week term. Unless the class material is successfully completed prior to the start of the next 15-week term, a grade of F will be recorded for the course.

Interim Grades

Faculty submit interim grades for every student on the current class roster for sessions of 10 weeks or longer. Interim grades are due after one third of the session has been completed.

Student progress to date will be indicated by the following grade indicators:

S Satisfactory progress (current grade C or better)
U Unsatisfactory progress (current grade less than C)
UX Unsatisfactory due to lack of attendance

Quality Point Total and Grade Point Average

The grade point average and credit calculations on the Anne Arundel Community College transcript include only credit courses taken at Anne Arundel Community College.

  • Quality point total is the number of quality points a student earns. Each grade report shows the student’s quality point total for the term and the cumulative quality point total since admission.
  • Grade point average (GPA) is calculated by dividing the total quality points by the total credit hours attempted.
  • Total cumulative grade point average includes all attempts in all credit courses for which students receive letter grades of A, B, C, D, F or FX.
  • Adjusted cumulative grade point average does not include:
    • the previous grade(s) earned in a course when the course has been repeated
    • courses that have been forgiven

Dean’s List/Honors List

The dean’s list includes full-time students taking 12 credits with a GPA of 3.4 or higher for the previous term. The honors list includes part-time students carrying at least six credit hours with a GPA of 3.4 or higher for the previous term.

Repetition of Courses

Students may repeat a class one time only, regardless of the grade earned, unless otherwise stated in the course description. When a student repeats a course at Anne Arundel Community College, the most recent grade from Anne Arundel Community College is used to compute the adjusted GPA. However, grades for each attempt remain on the student record and transcript. Students who wish to repeat a course must repeat the course at Anne Arundel Community College for the repeat policy to apply. Grades earned at other institutions in courses for which grades were earned at Anne Arundel Community College do not adjust the grades earned at Anne Arundel Community College, nor do they alter the grade point average. To request to repeat a class more than one time, a student must meet with an academic adviser to petition the Committee on Academic Standards. Students may repeat developmental ENG and RDG courses until successful completion, with no limitation on the number of attempts and without filing a petition. Students should be aware that federal financial aid regulations limit the number of times a student can receive federal financial aid for a graded class.

Credit Limitations

Limitations on Credit Hours

Status/Standing 13-15 Week Term Session Maximum 10 Weeks or Less Term Session Maximum 4 Weeks or Less Term Session Maximum

Regular   18 9 6
Developmental   13 7 4
ESL   13 7 4
Probation   14 7 4
Nondegree   11 7 4

Credit hours are noted near course titles in the Credit Courses of Instruction  section of this catalog. The credit hours for noncredit developmental courses do not count toward graduation or in grade point averages. Limitations on credit hours is calculated using a student’s total equivalent credit hours as the sum of all the credit hours and equivalent hours including English as a Second Language (ESL) courses, for which a student registers for a given term.

An exception to the limitation on credit hours may be granted by an academic adviser for a student with regular status if the student has an adjusted cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher that includes at least one full-time term of courses for which a GPA of 3.0 has been earned.

Assessment Testing

All students who wish to pursue a degree or certificate must be assessed. Students may retest for English and/or reading one time. Retesting in English/reading is not allowed after attending or starting English or reading classes. Students seeking a retest in mathematics must first successfully complete the appropriate noncredit review course. Retesting in mathematics is not allowed after enrollment in mathematics classes. Attempting to take an assessment test more than the approved policy allows violates the college’s Academic Integrity Policy . Any assessment test score which is found to be the result of unauthorized repeat testing will be discarded.

Developmental Courses

Students required to take developmental courses in English, reading, or math must pass those courses to be eligible to register for a credit English or math course. Developmental courses do not carry college credit and may not be used toward graduation.

Students who are degree and certificate-seeking with developmental status should begin developmental requirements in their first term. Developmental courses in English and reading must be in progress by the time 12 AACC hours (credit or equivalent) have been attempted. Developmental requirements must be completed within the first 30 AACC hours (credit or equivalent) attempted. An extension of one term may be granted by an academic adviser.

Students who are assigned developmental status and who complete their developmental requirements will be changed to regular status.

Class Attendance

  1. Attendance
    • Regular attendance is expected of students who are registered in face-to-face courses and in distance education classroom environments.
    • For hybrid courses, attendance is defined as regular and substantive student participation in virtual learning activities as well as attendance at required face-to-face meetings.
    • For online courses, attendance is defined as regular and substantive student participation in virtual learning activities.
    • Attendance requirements and policies specific to each course are stated in the course syllabus. Students should be aware that lack of regular attendance and/or lack of substantive student participation as appropriate for the course format will adversely affect their grades in those classes in which attendance is a stated requirement. For courses in which attendance is not a stated requirement, student grades may be adversely affected by failure to satisfactorily complete assignments and course work.
    • Regular attendance and active participation promote student success.
  2. Visitors
    • Only students officially registered for a course may attend.
    • No visitors (including children, family members or substitutes) shall be allowed to attend or participate in any course without the permission of the faculty member.

Change in Program

Students are admitted to the college in an academic program specified in their original application. Students are encouraged to meet with an academic adviser prior to changing their program of study. Those who wish to change their program must submit a program of study change form to the Records and Registration office or use MyAACC. Those students who are admitted in the General Education undeclared area of study are required to change their area of study as specified in the Undeclared  program.

Forgiveness of Courses

Students who have demonstrated academic progress in a new program of study may petition the Committee on Academic Standards to request academic forgiveness of courses that cannot be applied to meet a program requirement in their new program of study. If the Committee on Academic Standards approves the request for academic forgiveness, the courses will still appear on the student’s transcript, but are marked as forgiven and are not included in the adjusted grade point average. It is important to note that all courses not applicable to the new program of study will be forgiven, regardless of grade earned. In some cases, this procedure will have a negative effect on the student’s adjusted grade point average. All requests must be carefully reviewed with an academic adviser before submitting a petition.

Some courses restrict award of credit based on overlap of content as noted in the course description. Students who take two courses for which they cannot receive credit for both will have one of the courses marked as forgiven. However, both grades remain on the student’s record and transcript.

Courses cannot be forgiven after a degree or certificate has been awarded. However, a student who has demonstrated progress toward a new program of study may request course forgiveness for courses that could not be applied to a previously awarded degree or certificate.

Please note: Having courses forgiven usually will not resolve any Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) violations caused by the forgiven courses. If courses are forgiven, the Financial Aid SAP Policy will use the new adjusted grade point average, but the forgiven course credits will still be counted as attempted credits. See Financial Aid webpage for more information.

Academic Standing

Students who have an adjusted grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or higher are in good standing. Students’ academic standing cannot be changed until 12 credit hours of credit courses have been attempted. Thereafter, students are governed by the academic standing table which follows.

After any change in academic standing, no further change can be made until at least 12 more credit hours have been attempted. However, students may be removed from academic probation at the end of any term during which their overall grade point average is a 2.0. Students on probation who achieve a term GPA of 3.0 or better, while earning at least nine hours of credit during one term, will be in good standing for the following term.

The academic standing of students whose grade point average is below 2.0 is determined by the following table.

Academic Standing Table

Adjusted Cumulative Credit Hours Attempted Adjusted GPA for Probation Adjusted GPA for Dismissal  
0-11 0-1.99    
12-14 1.00-1.99 .99 or less  
15-17 1.15-1.99 1.14 or less  
18-20 1.34-1.99 1.33 or less  
21-23 1.40-1.99 1.39 or less  
24-26 1.50-1.99 1.49 or less  
27-29 1.56-1.99 1.55 or less  
30-32 1.60-1.99 1.59 or less  
33-35 1.64-1.99 1.63 or less  
36-38 1.67-1.99 1.66 or less  
39-41 1.69-1.99 1.68 or less  
42-44 1.76-1.99 1.75 or less  
45-47 1.80-1.99 1.79 or less  
48-50 1.81-1.99 1.80 or less  
51-53 1.82-1.99 1.81 or less  
54-56 1.85-1.99 1.84 or less  
57-59 1.89-1.99 1.88 or less  
60 or above 1.90-1.99 1.89 or less  

Note: Students who earned a term GPA of at least 2.0 will not be dismissed, regardless of their position in the academic standing table.

An adjusted cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 is required for graduation.

These Academic Standing, Probation, Dismissal and Reinstatement policies apply to all AACC students, but students who receive financial aid are also subject to the more stringent “Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy” on the Financial Aid webpage.

Academic Dismissal and Reinstatement

Students who have attempted 12 or more credit hours of credit courses and whose adjusted cumulative grade point average falls in the dismissal zone specified in the academic standing table will be dismissed. Students will not be subject to academic dismissal, however, until they have attempted at least 12 additional credit hours since their most recent change in academic standing (dismissal or probation).

First Dismissal Students - Students who have been dismissed one time from the college for academic reasons and who wish to be reinstated must meet with an academic adviser to develop a suitable academic plan. The academic adviser will help the student identify strategies to assure academic success. The student will be directed to use college academic support services and encouraged to develop realistic goals. Students who are readmitted after a first dismissal will be readmitted only for a 13-week or a 15-week term, either fall or spring. If readmitted, these students will be limited to two courses which must be repeats of courses in which they earned Ds or Fs.

Second Dismissal Students - Students who have been academically dismissed from the college more than once shall not be reinstated. In extraordinary circumstances only, reinstatement may be granted by the Committee on Academic Standards.

Exceptions to the Academic Regulations

The Committee on Academic Standards, acting for the faculty, has jurisdiction over all matters concerning the application of academic regulations. In particular the committee is empowered to act on petitions from students who wish to be granted an exception to the academic regulations. Some examples are requests to be readmitted after dismissal, requests to repeat a course more than one time, and requests to substitute one course for another in an academic program. Approval of these requests is neither automatic nor guaranteed; each is evaluated on its own merits.

Petition forms are available in the Counseling, Advising and Retention Services. Each completed form must be accompanied by a letter of explanation from the student and have a signed recommendation for appropriate action from an academic adviser or department chair.

Petition forms must be received in the Records and Registration office 48 hours prior to the Academic Standards meeting. Students will be mailed a copy of the committee’s decision.

Any appeal of a Committee on Academic Standards decision must be submitted to the Records and Registration office and addressed to the Office of the Vice President for Learning. The appeal must be made within 30 days of the committee’s original decision date. An appeal form and procedures for filing can be obtained from the Records and Registration office or an academic adviser.

Dismissal for Other Than Academic Reasons

Students whose health or behavior imperils others, as determined by proper authority, may be suspended from the college. A faculty member may temporarily suspend a student from a class when a discipline problem arises. Students whose actions are in violation of the Student Conduct Policy may be charged and sanctioned in accordance with the procedures outlined.

Graduation Requirements

Graduation Procedures

A student must submit an application for graduation according to the following schedule in order to graduate at the end of the specified term. The college will not award a degree or certificate for a past semester or term.

For Spring graduation: By March 1
For Summer graduation: By July 1
For Fall graduation: By Nov. 1

Students must complete and file a graduation application with the Records and Registration office regardless if they plan to attend the ceremony.

One graduation fee must be paid for each degree/certificate. Such applications are good for only one term. Students who do not qualify in the term for which they apply are required to reapply, but need not pay a second fee for the graduation application. Students must submit a graduation application and graduation fee through MyAACC. Spring, summer and fall graduates are invited to attend the commencement ceremony in May.

Graduation Honors Graduation honors will be accorded to associate degree recipients whose adjusted cumulative GPAs are as follows: (a) 3.4 to 3.59 - cum laude; (b) 3.6 to 3.79 - magna cum laude; and (c) 3.8 to 4.0 - summa cum laude.

Courses Canceled in Students’ Final Term

Students, who in their last term before graduation, have a required course cancelled should immediately contact their department chair to request substitution of another course for graduation.

Associate Degree Requirements

To qualify for any associate degree, students must fulfill the following requirements:

  1. Completion of a minimum of 60 credit hours, 15 of which must be earned at Anne Arundel Community College. A minimum of 30 of the required 60 credit hours must be earned through direct classroom instruction (including distance learning classes).
  2. Achievement of an adjusted cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
  3. Completion of the course and general education requirements of a program or curriculum as described in the college catalog. Any catalog may be used provided that it is for the current year or one of the four preceding academic years, and is for a year in which the student completed at least one credit or developmental class. On a student’s application for graduation he/she will declare the catalog year to be used.
  4. Submission of a graduation application and the graduation fee through MyAACC by the deadline.

Additional Associate Degree

To earn more than one associate degree at Anne Arundel Community College, students must:

  1. Fulfill all program requirements for each degree in accord with college requirements as stated above.
  2. Satisfactorily complete a minimum of 75 credits, 15 of which must be earned at Anne Arundel Community College.
  3. Achieve an adjusted cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher at Anne Arundel Community College.
  4. Submit a graduation application and the graduation fee through MyAACC by the deadline.

Certificate Requirements

To qualify for a certificate, students must meet the following requirements:

  1. Completion of the course requirements of a program as described in the college catalog. At least 50 percent of the total credit hours in the program must be earned at Anne Arundel Community College. Any catalog may be used provided that it is for the current year or one of the four preceding academic years, and is for a year in which the student completed at least one credit or developmental class. On a student’s application for graduation he/she will declare the catalog year to be used.
  2. Demonstrated eligibility for ENG 111 , ENG 115, or ENG 121.
  3. Achievement of an adjusted cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
  4. Submission of a graduation application and the graduation fee through MyAACC by the deadline.

Letter of Recognition

To qualify for a Letter of Recognition, students must complete the courses for the letter as stated under areas of study in the catalog. At least 50 percent of the total credit hours in the letter of recognition must be earned at Anne Arundel Community College. Students must apply for the letter of recognition at the Records and Registration office. (There is no graduation fee for a letter of recognition.) Letters of recognition are not a formal award and therefore not noted on the official transcript.

Fast Track Option

To complete a program of study with the Fast Track designation a student who has received an associates, baccalaureate or master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university must complete all program requirements. The general education, computing, and information technology competency and diversity requirements are satisfied for the students who provide evidence that they have completed a degree from a regionally accredited college or university.

Reverse Transfer Award of the Associate Degree

Reverse transfer award of the associate degree (reverse transfer) allows a student who transfers to a four-year institution prior to earning an associate degree to earn the associate degree while working toward a bachelor degree. Reverse transfer is the process to transfer credit from a four-year institution back to Anne Arundel Community College. The Records and Registration office reviews coursework from Anne Arundel Community College and the four-year institution to determine if the remaining course requirements have been completed for the award of an associate degree. College transfer credit criteria  and graduation requirements apply to reverse transfer. Students should complete the reverse transfer degree application form found on the reverse transfer website.

Student Records

Attendance Records

  • Attendance will be taken and recorded in all classes.
  • The registrar reserves the right to deny certification of attendance or withdraw such certification due to unacceptable absences in classes and/or lack of substantive participation in distance education courses.
  • A student who has never been registered or has been dropped from a class, through his or her own action or omission by the college, will not be reinstated into a class after 20% of the class has been completed.

Change of Name, Address and Phone

Students are required to notify the Records and Registration office of changes including name, address or telephone number. Students should complete the demographic information change form or use MyAACC. The college uses United States Postal Service standard address abbreviations and spellings.

Enrollment Verification/Full Time, Part Time Student Status

Request official verification of enrollment at the Records and Registration office. Anne Arundel Community College designates a full-time student as one enrolled for the equivalent of 12 credit hours. Students enrolled for fewer than 12 credit hours are classified as part time. Some health professions students registered in a clinical sequence course are considered full time when enrolled in fewer than 12 credit hours.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended

The college protects and distributes a student’s education records, including, but not limited to, any personally identifiable information, in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended. See the complete college policy and procedure related to this federal regulation . A student’s FERPA rights begin on the first day the student begins attending classes at AACC.

Education Records

Education records include any record maintained by the college directly related to a student or students. These records include admission, academic, billing, financial aid, advising, and placement testing. FERPA gives students the right to inspect and review information contained in their own education record, to challenge the content of the records, and allows for a formal hearing if resolution is not met. The registrar coordinates the inspection and review process for student education records.


The college does not disclose information from a student’s education record without the student’s written consent. Exceptions may include: to college officials with a legitimate educational interest; when providing directory information; in compliance with the Solomon Amendment; to those who, in an emergency, must protect the health or safety of students or others; and as authorized in the federal regulation.

Directory Information

FERPA allows the registrar to release student directory information. This information may include name, address, AACC ID#, AACC email address, telephone numbers, program of study, full-time or part-time enrollment status, terms enrolled, degrees and honors earned, and participation in officially recognized college activities or sports. The college typically releases only name, terms enrolled, full-time or part-time enrollment status, and degrees earned as directory information. To have directory information withheld, notify the registrar in writing.

Law Enforcement Unit Records

The college may disclose law enforcement unit record to anyone, including federal, State, or local law enforcement authorities, without the consent of student or parent. A law enforcement record is defined as a record that is: created by the law enforcement unit; created for a law enforcement purpose; and maintained by the law enforcement unit.


Request copies of official academic transcripts, letters of recognition or continuing education noncredit transcripts in writing, mailed, faxed or via MyAACC, to the Records and Registration office, AACC at Arundel Mills, the Glen Burnie Town Center or the Fort Meade Army Education Center. The offices process transcripts within three business days of receiving requests. Official academic transcripts are only issued for students who have taken coursework at Anne Arundel Community College.

The college reserves the right to withhold official transcripts and other services from students in debt to the college. These debts include tuition, fees, fines, worthless checks and other college fees. Students may discuss these actions with the vice president for learner support services or the vice president’s designee.