May 28, 2020
ACH 212 - Architectural Studio 2: Design and Synthesis 4 credit hours - One hour of lecture and six hours of laboratory weekly; one term.
Expand on the fundamental design principals from ACH 211 and identify physical and environmental concerns regarding design. Review essential spatial, formal, material, sustainable, and experiential dimensions of architectural problems of varying complexity. Explore the appropriate applications of hand and digital delineation solutions and their implementation in the design process. Analyze design precedents to understand their material properties, structural concepts, as well as responses to site, environmental and cultural factors. Apply the use of structure and materials for creating environmentally responsive designs. Develop a portfolio documenting work completed in the program. Lab fee $40.
Prerequisite(s): ACH 211 and ACH 242 .
Crosslisted: Also offered as ACH 212H ; credit is not given for both ACH 212 and ACH 212H .
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Apply Symbolism and Representation.
- Research examples of form-giving words used in the architectural design process
- Sketch graphic representations of form-giving words
- Identify and develop symbolic representations of form-giving words
- Apply symbolism to architectural design concepts.
- Synthesize a Design.
- Define Parti diagrams and their applications
- Analyze the Partis of existing buildings
- Draw a Parti Diagrams
- Analyze concept statements for architectural projects
- Identify circulation, structure, balance, hierarchy, and unique & repetitive forms of existing buildings
- Diagram circulation, structure, balance, hierarchy, and unique & repetitive forms of existing buildings
- Compare analysis diagrams of various existing building
- Compile a reference of built form analysis diagrams
- Apply Architectural Tectonics.
- Inventory site elements
- Categorize site elements
- Analyze site elements
- Identify site influences
- Draw site diagrams
- Review site planning strategies
- Apply Sustainable Design.
- Review LEED system
- Identify impact of environmental factors
- Review sustainable design initiatives
- Identify sustainable materials
- Compile a reference of sustainable practices
- Diagram principals of architectural organization
- Verbally articulate design concepts as the apply to sustainable design
- Create sustainable designs according to architectural form, space and order concepts
- Defend Architectural and sustainable design concepts
- Create a Portfolio.
- Review graphic design and presentations
- Analyze design and layout principles of brochures
- Develop concept statements for architectural projects
- Incorporate technology in representing architectural projects
- Design a graphic template for a portfolio
- Document past projects
- Create cover and section pages
- Produce a physical and electronic portfolio
Core 1 Communication Core 3 Information Literacy Core 5 Self Management Core 8 Social and Civic Responsibility Core 10 Innovative and Critical Thinking