Nov 13, 2019
ACH 265 - Digital Studio 3 credit hours - One hour of lecture and four hours of laboratory weekly; one term.
Articulate the role of technology in design professions through multiple studio projects. Explore the use of various technologies through the sequences of the design process to transition from free-hand design concepts to three-dimensional modeling software. Produce various renderings and image types for use in digital presentations and create a three-dimensional print. Use SketchUp, plug-ins, and Photoshop software. Lab fee $40.
Prerequisite(s): ACH 245 .
Crosslisted: Also offered as ACH 265H ; credit is given for both ACH 265 and ACH 265H .
Note: This course counts as one of the required CAD electives.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Transform a design concept into multiple digital representations
- Review the design process and use of computer applications for design.
- Review effective design presentation techniques.
- Import hand drawings into various design software.
- Manipulate hand drawings in design software.
- Create multiple digital representations of a design solution.
- Construct a digital model for 3D Printing
- Review process for converting SketchUp model into an STL file format for 3D printing.
- Identify appropriate abstraction and detail scale for 3D printer capabilities.
- Utilize SketchUp components in modeling.
- Group geometries and elements in a SketchUp model.
- Examine SketchUp model for gaps and inverted surfaces.
- Produce a 3D Printable design in SketchUp.
- Produce renderings from a digital model.
- Characterize SketchUp style options.
- Apply a rendering style to a digital model.
- Create a material patterns.
- Manipulate a material patterns.
- Utilize shadow setting.
- Manipulate perspective settings.
- Utilize rendering plug-ins for Sketchup.
- Revise SketchUp Renderings
- Develop animations from a digital model.
- Characterize a Fly-through animation.
- Characterize a Walk-through animation.
- Create SketchUp scenes.
- Reorganize SketchUp scenes.
- Revise SketchUp scenes.
- Generate an animation with SketchUp.
- Revise animation playback speed.
- Revise animation resolution and size.
- Produce and edit digital imagery for design presentations.
- Identify equipment for photographing design and construction projects.
- Define common resolution requirement and file formats for digital images used in design.
- Characterize Photoshop selection tools and techniques.
- Capture specific areas of a digital image for manipulation.
- Manipulate Photoshop layers.
- Characterize image filtering options in Photoshop.
- Utilize image filter options for design presentation.
Core 1 Communication Core 5 Self Management Core 10 Innovative and Critical Thinking