Jan 15, 2021
BPA 104 - Entrepreneurship: Sales and Marketing for Small Business 3 credit hours - Three hours weekly; one term.
This course will emphasize tools and skills that small business owners need to market their business successfully on a small scale and small budget. The salesmanship portion of the course will focus equally on the effectiveness of a good sales presentation and the importance of good customer service after the sale to ensure future sales. The intended audience is students who plan to own or manage small businesses and need to develop more skills in marketing and sales. Skills to be mastered include preparing a marketing plan for a small business, developing a realistic marketing budget, planning the sales presentation and providing a training manual for sales personnel to be hired in the future. This course may be taught in a hybrid learning format utilizing class meetings and extensive independent work in the areas of market research and developing sales presentations. Lab fee $10.
Crosslisted: Also offered as ESI 104 ; credit is not given for both BPA 104 and ESI 104 .
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Use the basic terminology in marketing today.
- Define marketing and identify its key concepts
- Define the legislation and regulatory agencies that impact marketing- especially in the area of advertising
- Identify the basics of a marketing plan
- Discuss various strategies used by marketers to grow their customer base
- Discuss case studies related to successful marketing strategies.
- Discuss the challenges of setting up successful marketing strategy
- Discuss some of the mistakes that other companies have made with their marketing strategies
- Describe the role that a thorough marketing strategy has in the potential success of a business.
- Identify the various types of marketing strategies
- Discuss the pros and cons of the strategies
- Discuss how an effective marketing strategy impacts the overall mission of an organization.
Core 1 Communication Core 2 Technology Fluency Core 3 Information Literacy Core 5 Self Management Core 7 Quantitative Reasoning Core 10 Innovative and Critical Thinking