Sep 22, 2020
BPA 127 - eMarketing 3 credit hours - Three hours weekly; one term.
Learn the core concepts of an eMarketing campaign. Explore email marketing, online advertising, social media, viral marketing, website copywriting and design, and other electronic tools used in supporting a traditional marketing campaign
Crosslisted: Also offered as ESI 127 ; credit is not given for both BPA 127 and ESI 127 .
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the importance of the Internet and technology for Marketing
- Explain the various ways in which people access and use the Internet.
- Explain how a domain name works.
- Define key terms including URL, IP address, domain, subdomain, TLD, and directory.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the various tools used in eMarketing
- Explain the different types of e-mail used in marketing.
- Demonstrate the ability to plan an e-mail campaign.
- Explain the importance of analyzing the effectiveness of an e-mail campaign.
- Define different types of online advertising opportunities.
- Explain the different types of online payment models for online advertising.
- Demonstrate the ability to plan an online advertising campaign.
- Discuss the fundamental concepts of affiliate marketing.
- Demonstrate the ability to set up an affiliate marketing campaign.
- Demonstrate knowledge of search marketing
- Explain how search engines work.
- Discuss the difference between PPC (pay per click) and SEO (search engine optimization.)
- Explain how a web site needs to be structured for search engine optimization.
- Explain the elements of a pay per click advertisement.
- Demonstrate the ability to set up a pay per click advertising campaign.
- Demonstrate knowledge of social media as a marketing tool
- Explain the fundamental concepts behind social media.
- Demonstrate the ability to set up a social media campaign.
- Identify the benefits of social media for marketers.
- Describe the pros and cons of using social media as a marketing tool.
- Demonstrate knowledge of crowdsourcing and its impact on eMarketing
- Identify the different types of crowdsourcing.
- Explain the different ways crowdsourcing is used.
- Discuss the importance of the community involved in crowdsourcing.
- Discuss how crowdsourcing may impact the future of marketing.
- Demonstrate knowledge of viral marketing
- Describe the different types of viral marketing.
- Demonstrate the ability to set up a viral marketing campaign.
- Demonstrate knowledge of online reputation management
- Discuss why listening to the buzz online is crucial to online reputation management.
- Discuss how to monitor and analyze what is being said online.
- Describe how to lead and engage in conversation online.
- Explain how brands can recover from an online threat.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Web Public Relations
- Explain the basic fundamentals of Web public relations.
- Demonstrate the best practices for writing an article for online syndication.
- Describe how search and social media are a powerful combination for press releases.
- Describe how an online press room works.
- Explain how to pitch an article to bloggers.
- Demonstrate knowledge of marketing’s role in web site development and design
- Describe the fundamental concepts of usability for web site design.
- Explain how to make a web site visible to search engines.
- Explain how web design can affect web performance.
- Demonstrate ability to write copy for the Internet
- Discuss how online copywriting works.
- Describe short copy and its importance.
- Describe long copy and how it should be used.
- Demonstrate knowledge of web analytics and conversion optimization
- Explain the fundamentals of web analytics and conversion optimization.
- Discuss the importance of web analytics to eMarketing.
- Discuss the importance of conversion optimization to eMarketing.
- Explain why tracking and data collection are important to eMarketing.
- Describe data analysis and why it is important to eMarketing.
- Demonstrate knowledge of mobile marketing
- List the three categories of mobile phone and how they are used in eMarketing.
- Explain short message service (SSM) and how it works in eMarketing.
- Explain multimedia message service (MMS) and how it works in eMarketing.
- Discuss the role that mobile web plays in eMarketing.
- Demonstrate knowledge of online customer relationship management
- Discuss the different types of electronic customer relationship management.
- Explain how using customer relationship management can give a company useful information to be applied to its eMarketing channels.
- Describe how technology influences customer relationship management.
- Demonstrate knowledge of marketing research
- List the differences between quantitative and qualitative research.
- Describe how to gather quantitative and qualitative research.
- Discuss the importance of online research panels.
- Explain primary and secondary research.
- Demonstrate the ability to develop online surveys
- Demonstrate ability to create an eMarketing campaign
- Describe how the four “P”s of marketing have been influenced by the Internet.
- Explain the steps of a marketing plan.
- Describe how eMarketing should fit into the overall marketing campaign.
- Explain eMarketing tactics and their outcomes.
Core 1 Communication Core 2 Technology Fluency Core 3 Information Literacy Core 5 Self Management Core 6 Scientific Reasoning Core 7 Quantitative Reasoning Core 9 Global Perspective Core 10 Innovative and Critical Thinking