Jan 19, 2021
BPA 250 - Legal Issues for Business 3 credit hours - Three hours weekly; one term.
Learn legal consequences in the launch and operation of a business. Examine practical ways to minimize liability in areas such as business organization and management, obligations created by contracts and torts, and relationships between employers and employees and between creditors and debtors. Study government regulation and property interests, and intellectual property law. Lab fee $5.
Crosslisted: Also offered as ESI 250 and LGS 250 ; credit is given for only one of the following: BPA 250, ESI 250 , LGS 250 .
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Use correctly the legal terminology common to the subject areas covered in the course.
- Identify terms and appropriately use them to describe the legal issues that impact small business.
- Discuss legal issues using the appropriate legal terminology.
- Identify and resolve legal issues involved in employment relationships, including rights and duties of employers and employees, plus employer liability to third parties for employee conduct.
- Demonstrate the use of employment forms as required by law.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the legal responsibilities of hiring, maintaining and terminating employees.
- Master basics concepts of contract law and gain an overview of fundamental commercial transactions, including contracts for the sale of goods, negotiable instruments and security interests.
- Identify the various parts of a legally binding contract
- Discuss the responsibilities of all parties to a contract.
- Discuss what makes a contract legally binding.
Core 1 Communication Core 3 Information Literacy Core 5 Self Management Core 10 Innovative and Critical Thinking