Jan 15, 2021
DAN 215 - Beginning Pointe Technique 1 credit hour - One half hour of lecture and one hour of studio weekly; one term.
Begin pointe work focusing on strengthening the ankles, demi-pointe and placement in the execution of elementary movement on pointe.
Note: Must be concurrently enrolled in DAN 211 or DAN 212 in order to maintain the necessary strength for the pointe class.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Develop foot, ankle and leg strength necessary for pointe work.
- Practice movements relevant to strengthening the foot, ankle and legs.
- Observe relevant techniques for proper execution of exercises.
- Execute basic movements on pointe.
- Demonstrate correct body placement.
- Demonstrate accurate balance during exercises.
- Demonstrate technical proficiency in exercises.
- Apply knowledge and technique of pointe work in the performance of ballet.
- Describe the relationship of pointe-work to ballet technique.
- Demonstrate basic barre work and centre work on pointe using proper technique.
- Discuss the aesthetics of the technique regarding ballet and pointe work.
Core 1 Communication Core 3 Information Literacy Core 4 Personal Wellness Core 5 Self Management Core 9 Global Perspective