Oct 02, 2023
HIT 200 - Electronic Health Records 2 credits - two hours weekly; one term.
Learn the history and inception of the electronic health record and current health technology nomenclature and standards. Students gain a broad perspective of current federal legislation and law governing the electronic health record. Students are given instruction on the practical applications of the electronic health record, including types of medical software, administrative applications and functions for long-term planning, patient scheduling, tracking patient activity, e-communication within health systems, building the patient’s electronic face sheet and chart, electronic ordering and scheduling for testing and diagnostics, creating health forms, electronic health imaging, building health system and medical data bases, electronic patient encounter forms and electronic billing systems in the health care setting. Class will be held in computer laboratory. Lab fee $30.
Prerequisite(s): Eligibility for ENG 111 or ENG 115 or ENG 121 .
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Develop and maintain health data systems and structures
- Integrate systems to maintain data integrity in compliance with national guidelines and laws
- Develop and maintain clinical classifications systems
- Develop non clinical support systems, such as financial and statistic programs that support overall operations
- Integrate system technologies to support and maintain data integrity
- Demonstrate effective and fluent e-communication technologies, including internal and external
- Develop and maintain data storage and retrieval systems
- Develop and maintain systems that support electronic health records, including imagery and other modalities that support patient diagnostics and treatment
- Develop integrated systems that support real time communications of patient care and financial reimbursement
Core 1 Communication Core 2 Technology Fluency Core 3 Information Literacy Core 5 Self Management Core 6 Scientific Reasoning Core 7 Quantitative Reasoning Core 10 Innovative and Critical Thinking