Oct 04, 2023
HLS 240 - National Security Challenges of the 21st Century 3 credit hours - Three hours weekly; one term.
Survey the major national security challenges facing the intelligence community in the 21st century: terrorism, transnational crime, cybercrime, nuclear weapons proliferation, and regional conflicts. Explore the technological and scientific principles required of analysts who follow these major intelligence challenges and how the U.S. government is addressing these challenges. Lab fee $20.
Prerequisite(s): HLS 211 or HLS 220 or permission of director.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Evaluate the impact of the major 21st century challenges of U.S. national security.
- Analyze how regional conflicts impact on U.S. security and economics interests.
- Analyze how weapons of mass destruction influence U.S. policy.
- Analyze how transnational crime impacts on U.S. national security and economy.
- Explain the specific social, economic, military, scientific and technological principles and factors in the 21st century national security challenges.
- Explain the technology and scientific principles of nuclear proliferation, biological threats, and cyber threats.
- Explain the social and economic factors in transnational crime, terrorism, and economic competition for resources.
- Explain the military and security issues involving the regional tensions between China and Taiwan, North and South Korea and India-Pakistan.
- Analyze U.S. government/international response to the 21st century national security challenges.
- Evaluate U.S. policy in settling regional conflicts, combating terrorism and fighting transnational crime.
- Discuss policy alternatives for dealing with the regional conflicts, terrorism and transnational crime.
Core 1 Communication Core 2 Technology Fluency Core 3 Information Literacy Core 4 Personal Wellness Core 5 Self Management Core 6 Scientific Reasoning Core 7 Quantitative Reasoning Core 8 Social and Civic Responsibility Core 9 Global Perspective Core 10 Innovative and Critical Thinking