Oct 04, 2023
HRM 220 - Garde Manger 3 credit hours - 15 hours of lecture and 60 hours of laboratory.
Prepare traditional cold foods including salads, sandwiches, appetizers, cheese and hors d’oeuvres. Produce charcuterie; pate, terrines, galantines, and sausages as well as use traditional preservation techniques and create decorative centerpieces. Students will also plan, prepare, and present a garde manger buffet. Lab fee $290.
Prerequisite(s): HRM 123 or permission of the Director of the HCAT Institute.
Note: Students must provide the required uniform and knife kit.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Define the role of the Garde Manger kitchen within the kitchen brigade.
- Define the role of garde manger in traditional and contemporary cuisine.
- Examine current trends in garde manger.
- Explore various techniques of food preservation.
- Prepare cold sauces such as aspic, Chaud-Froid, gelee, coulis, dressings, vinagrettes, compound butters and marinades.
- Prepare assorted appetizers and hors d’oeuvres.
- Define elements of Garde Manger.
- Analyze production of charcuterie.
- Produce charcuterie items, including pate, forcemeats, mousselines, terrines, galantines, and sausages.
- Design and produce show platters using edible garnishes.
- Identify assorted cheeses.
- Compose crudite presentations incorporating variety cheeses.
- Design and produce side and entree salads.
- Evaluate the design and construction of edible and non-edible show pieces.
Core 1 Communication Core 3 Information Literacy Core 5 Self Management Core 6 Scientific Reasoning Core 8 Social and Civic Responsibility Core 9 Global Perspective Core 10 Innovative and Critical Thinking