Oct 04, 2023
HRM 226 - Advanced Pastry Production 3 credit hours - 15 hours of lecture and 60 hours of laboratory.
Prepare advanced doughs, cookies, frozen desserts, petit gateau, tarts and classic desserts. Develop design skills and explore concepts of plated desserts. Lab fee $175.
Prerequisite(s): HRM 190 , HRM 202 and HRM 203 or permission of the Director of the HCAT Institute.
Note: Students must provide the required uniform and knife kit.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Develop proficiency with advanced bakeshop procedures.
- Demonstrate advanced time management and production skills.
- Demonstrate ability to prioritize management of oven and refrigerator spaces during production.
- Manage production schedule during the allotted lab period.
- Manage workspace and equipment requirements efficiently.
- Coordinate production tasks with group members during the production sequence.
- Assume responsibility for maintaining the cleanliness and orderliness of the kitchen lab following rules of kitchen sanitation.
- Apply kitchen math in calculating all recipe and formula conversions.
- Observe safety rules regarding machinery and equipment in the pastry kitchen.
- Identify advanced pastry terms and vocabulary.
- Utilize correct pastry vocabulary in the pastry kitchen.
- Utilize correct pronunciation of french and other non-english pastry terms.
- Identify pastry tools, equipment and techniques with the correct French or classical pastry terminology.
- Prepare advanced composed desserts.
- Follow recipe directions.
- Apply proper technique for the production of specific recipes.
- Cooperate with other students in the production of various composed desserts.
- Produce all assigned recipes.
- Recognize the role of environment on the production of specific composed desserts.
- Develop decoration and garnishing skills.
- Produce and utilize paper cone (coronet) for fine piping and decoration
- Produce whole and miniature finished desserts
- Present finished product for evaluation and critique
- Troubleshoot production and recipe problems.
- Integrate knowledge of baking process with the production in all lab assignments
- Critique baking processes to analyse problems and mistakes.
- Communicate with group members during the critique and evaluation process.
- Prepare advanced laminated doughs.
- Produce croissant and puff pastry.
- Prepare completed desserts utilizing croissant and puff pastry.
- Examine the qualities of laminated doughs.
- Integrate understanding of the baking process with the production of laminated doughs.
- Prepare advanced frozen desserts.
- Prepare ice creams, frozen custards, sorbets and granite.
- Analyze the role of ingredients in the freezing process.
- Practice decorative bread sculpting and weaving.
- Integrate knowledge of the baking process in the production of braided and decorative breads
- Explain principles of yeast fermentation
- Explain principles of gluten development
- Apply various bread braiding techniques to produce finished decorative loaves
Core 1 Communication Core 3 Information Literacy Core 5 Self Management Core 7 Quantitative Reasoning Core 10 Innovative and Critical Thinking