Oct 04, 2023
HRM 256 - Hotel Property Management 3 credit hours - 45 hours of lecture.
Examine property management concerns for hotels. Operational areas reviewed include housekeeping, security, risk management and maintenance. Special emphasis is given to feasibility studies, supply management and business forecasting. Course includes an introduction to labor relations, retention, and departmental budgeting.
Prerequisite(s): Eligibility for any general education mathematics or permission of the Director of the HCAT Institute.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Gain a working knowledge of the major companies in the industry, including brand strategy and positioning.
- Describe the role and function of every major department within a hotel property, specifically as it relates to guest services, hotel efficiency and guest satisfaction.
- Gain a historical perspective of the hotel industry in the United States and the role of some of the industry pioneers.
- Recognize the varied safety and security systems prominent within a hotel. Understand the importance of risk management.
- Define and explain the purpose of varied reports and statistical methods of forecasting used to assist management in daily operations and managerial decision-making.
- Analyze the major challenges facing hotel managers today as it relates to the competition, employee challenges, the economy and consumer demands.
- Identify the value of a feasibility study and its relation to revenue generating goals.
- Understand the complex role of supply management and its effects on hotel operations, controls, customer service and profitability.
- Identify the opportunities for advancement and change within the hotel with regards to technical improvements, guest demands and internal policies and procedures as set forth by management.
Core 1 Communication Core 2 Technology Fluency Core 3 Information Literacy Core 5 Self Management Core 8 Social and Civic Responsibility Core 9 Global Perspective Core 10 Innovative and Critical Thinking