Sep 23, 2020
NUR 121 - Basic Physical Assessment 1 credit hour - 15 hours of lecture and 15 hours of directed laboratory per term; one term.
Gain foundational skills and physical assessment techniques and concepts necessary for beginning the assessment and implementation phase of the nursing process. Learn and practice assessment skills in a faculty directed laboratory setting and directed clinical experiences to facilitate the application of the content to client-centered care. Practice selected procedures on each other during directed laboratory.
Prerequisite(s): BIO 231 or BIO 233 or equivalent with grade of B or better.
Corequisite(s): NUR 120 and NUR 122 and BIO 232 or BIO 234 or equivalent.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Utilize appropriate and therapeutic communication to promote positive client outcomes.
- Gain knowledge of professional communication skills.
- Identify components of the assessment.
- Demonstrate documentation of assessment findings.
- Assess holistically and systematically, the health status of clients, families and communities to determine health care needs.
- Demonstrate physical assessment skills.
- Analyze assessment data.
- Determine client needs to promote health care outcomes through the use of the nursing process.
- Utilize critical thinking within the framework of the five steps of the nursing process to ensure the delivery of safe, accurate client care.
- Identify normal physical assessment findings and laboratory data.
- Apply the nursing process through the use of assessment techniques and review of the client systems.
- Provide nursing care based on the understanding of the sciences, humanities, nursing theory, research, and personal experiences that is global and culturally relevant, and which maintains clients’ rights and dignity.
Core 1 Communication Core 2 Technology Fluency Core 3 Information Literacy Core 4 Personal Wellness Core 5 Self Management Core 6 Scientific Reasoning Core 7 Quantitative Reasoning Core 8 Social and Civic Responsibility Core 9 Global Perspective Core 10 Innovative and Critical Thinking