Jan 15, 2021
NUR 122 - Nursing Perspectives 1 1 credit hour - 15 hours of lecture per term.
Learn concepts pertaining to the discipline of nursing and the health care delivery system. Gain instruction in the development of nursing as a discipline and the evolution of nursing education. Acquire knowledge of the legal and ethical aspects of the profession including the Nurse Practice Act, the State Board of Nursing and professional organizations.
Prerequisite(s): BIO 231 or BIO 233 or equivalent with grade of B or better.
Corequisite(s): NUR 120 and NUR 121 and BIO 232 or BIO 234 or equivalent.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Explore the evolution of nursing as a profession
- Discuss the history of Nursing.
- Identify selected nursing theorist.
- Discuss the importance of nursing research.
- Identify factors that determine accountability for maintaining the standards of professional practice to include the holistic client care across the settings, legal/ethical behaviors and lifelong learning in concert with the Maryland Nursing Practice Act.
- Identify the legal and ethical influences on the profession of nursing.
- Synthesize the Nurse Practice Act, standards of practice and professional behavior into their own practice of nursing.
- Discuss current issues that impact nursing as a profession
- Demonstrate awareness of current issues that influence nurses and students of nursing.
- Identify knowledge of the importance of career planning
- Explore the impact of the influence of the political process on nursing.
- Discuss bioethical issues in nursing
- Identify the importance of advance directives and informed consent.
- Discuss the importance of allocation of scarce resources on the healthcare setting.
Core 1 Communication Core 2 Technology Fluency Core 3 Information Literacy Core 4 Personal Wellness Core 5 Self Management Core 6 Scientific Reasoning Core 7 Quantitative Reasoning Core 8 Social and Civic Responsibility Core 9 Global Perspective Core 10 Innovative and Critical Thinking