ACH 106H - Residential Design Studio - Honors
3 credit hours - One hour of lecture weekly and four hours of laboratory weekly; one term.
This is an honors course.
Apply the interior design process from initial client interview, through schematic design, development, and final presentations. Examine and apply the principles and elements of design in residential settings. Develop different forms of communicating design through verbal, written, and technology based methods. Determine furnishing layouts, textiles, interior finishes, lighting, and color solutions for residential interior applications. Projects range from basic to more complex interior design solutions. Lab fee $40.
Prerequisite(s): ACH 100 , ACH 111 and eligibility for Honors courses, or permission of department chair.
Crosslisted: Also offered as ACH 106 ; credit is not given for bothACH 106 and ACH 106H.
Note: Complete and present an honors capstone research that extends beyond the classroom.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Develop an understanding of product research in interior design
- Interpret client needs through the interview process.
- Investigate interior finish materials for appropriate application.
- Analyze options for the interior environment.
- Explore codes and recommendations for special needs in residential settings
2. Examine the residential design process
- Define and utilize interior design terminology
- Name general basic design principles and elements for the interior environment
- Identify notable designers and their contributions to the interior design industry
- Discuss and apply how current and historic styles can communicate interior design.
3. Prepare and present oral and visual presentations
- Illustrate interior design concepts through sketching and rendering
- Explain major concepts for design solutions
- Defend decision for design
- Create 3 dimensional compositions to communicate concepts
- Apply digital technologies and hand illustration for presentation purposes
4. Coordinate and determine all aspects in a comprehensive residential design project
- Prepare and coordinate residential furnishing plans
- Label and identify through legends and schedules intended selected furnishings and fixtures
- Discuss presentation trends within the design industry
- Interpret an overall solution through two and three dimensional formats
- Defend rationale of design solutions
Core 1 Communication Core 3 Information Literacy Core 10 Innovative and Critical Thinking