BPA 283 - Special Topics: Mindful Leadership
3 credit hours - Three hours lecture weekly; one term.
Explore the basic concepts of mindfulness as it applies to more effective leadership. Experience mindfulness practice and learn the organizational and personal benefits of the practice in the work setting.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge of mindfulness.
- Identify the fundamentals of mindfulness.
- Describe how mindfulness and meditation are interrelated but not the same.
- Discuss the scientific history of mindfulness in the U.S.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of the benefits of mindfulness.
- Describe the organizational and leadership benefits of mindfulness.
- Identify and experience the benefits of physical mindfulness.
- Describe the psychological benefits of mindfulness.
- Discuss the learning benefits of mindfulness.
3. Demonstrate knowledge of the practice of mindfulness as a leadership tool.
- Identify and discuss resources available to practice mindfulness.
- Experience the practice of mindfulness.
4. Demonstrate knowledge of the mindful leader.
- Identify the characteristics of a mindful leader.
- Identify and describe how to integrate mindfulness within a specific leadership style.
- Recognize how to practice mindful leadership within a fast-paced and stressful work environment.
5. Demonstrate knowledge of the mindful team.
- Describe and define the characteristics of the mindful team.
- Define the ways to implement mindfulness to improve team effectiveness.
6. Demonstrate an understanding of how to sustain a mindfulness practice in the work environoment.
- Describe the research on sustaining a mindfulness practice.
- Describe the resources available to assist in sustaining a mindfulness practice.
- Describe and discuss the benefits of a sustained mindfulness practice.