Sep 29, 2020
Award: Associate of Science degree, A.S. (code AS.CPS.SCI)
Total Credit Hours: 60 credit hours.
About the Computer Science Department
Purpose: This transfer program provides a solid computer science and mathematics foundation for those students transferring to four-year colleges and universities to pursue a bachelor’s degree in computer science. Students who have already selected a transfer college/university should consult with their Department Chair to plan their program and to keep abreast of program changes and updates to the articulation agreements between Anne Arundel Community College and the transfer institutions.
Range of Occupations
Graduates in this field will find positions available in industry, education and government. Occupations can be explored further through the virtual Careers Center.
Computer Science Transfer, A.S. (code AS.CPS.SCI)
Computer Science Transfer, Computer Information Systems Option, A.S. (code AS.CPS.CIS)
Computer Science Transfer, Management Information Systems Option, A.S. (code AS.CPS.MIS)
Computer Science Transfer, Game and Simulation Programming Option, A.S. (code AS.CPS.GAME)
Plannning Tool: Two-Year Sequence of Courses
AACC faculty developed the following sequences of courses to encourage greater success in each student’s program of study. These sequences incorporate all of the student’s requirements for this degree and provide the student with essential notes to guide their success. It is recommended that students view and save this as they plan courses for this degree.
Computer Technology: 4 credits
Program Requirements: 23-26 credits
Computer Competency Requirement
General education requirement CTA 103 meets this requirement.
Students may satisfy the diversity requirement simultaneously as they satisfy general education requirements for arts and humanities, social and behavioral sciences and biological and physical sciences.
Fast Track Option
This program has a Fast Track Option for those holding a college degree.
Related Educational Opportunities
Agreements may exist for this program of study. To access agreements, go to www.aacc.edu/transfer and then click on “Articulations.”
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Develop analytical and problem solving skills.
- Develop research skills.
- Appropriately use the English language through writing, speaking and presentation skills in professional and business environment.
- Demonstrate an understanding of role of technology in business and professional environments.
- Show respect for the diverse needs of others.
- Develop an understanding of positive health behaviors and physical fitness.
- Demonstrate awareness of the basic legal rights of software and hardware vendors and users, and the ethical values that are the basis for those rights.
- Select algorithms appropriate to particular purposes and to apply them.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the range of algorithms that address an important set of well-defined problems, recognizing their strengths and weaknesses, and their suitability in particular contexts.
- Demonstrate fluency in at least one programming language.
- Use fundamental data structures.
- Develop algorithms and their application to problem-solving.
- Demonstrate mastery of fundamental programming constructs.
- Develop an understanding of the different styles of programming promoted by different languages and the design tradeoffs between the different programming paradigms.
- Use and implement recursion as a problem solving technique.
- Employ Software Engineering techniques for effective and efficient building of software systems that satisfy the requirements of users and customers.
- Demonstrate understanding of computer architecture and the computer system’s functional components, their characteristics, their performance, and their interactions.
- Demonstrate mastery of discrete structures and their application to computing.
- Develop an understanding of the scientific method.
This program aligns with all the college’s core competencies. For a full list of Core Competencies, click here.