Nov 23, 2020
Total Credit Hours: A minimum of 60 credit hours.
Purpose: Provides training in various Digital Arts disciplines, including Game Development, Media Production and Web and Interactive Design.
This degree and its options are not intended for students who wish to transfer to a four-year institution after graduation at AACC. Students should review the Arts and Sciences Transfer Associate of Art Degree Arts and Humanities Fine Art Options for degrees specifically designed for transfer.
- Game Development Option (code AAS.ART.GAME-DEV) gives students basic skills necessary to become independent game developers. It provides first-hand experience in designing game levels, producing original game art, and prototyping game concepts using both 2D and 3D game engines.
Students interested in working for a large AAA game company are encouraged to consider the Game Art and Design Transfer Degree. This degree will better prepare a student for developing a more focused set of skills necessary to get an entry-level job in this highly competitive industry.
- Media Production Option (code AAS.ART.MEDIA) is designed for students who wish to gain skills that will better prepare them to work in the video and film industry. Students will develop basic skills in the production and post -production of time-based media. With a focus mainly on digital video, students will get first-hand experience developing, making, and editing original footage.
This option is not specifically designed for transfer to a four year institution. Students should consult with an adviser and the department video coordinator to ensure an efficient transfer, or consider Film Studies Option of the Arts and Sciences Transfer or the Transfer Studies Associate of Arts Degrees.
- Web and Interactive Design Option (code AAS.ART.WEB-DSGN) prepares students for entry-level positions or internships as web or interactive designers at both regional and national companies that design and develop websites. Upon completion of this degree, students will have: obtained a solid foundation in design and art; planned projects from concept to completion; created wireframes and design comps; coded and built websites from the ground up; developed an understanding of the industry’s history and how it is evolving; and worked on real-world projects with industry professionals.
This degree is not intended for students who wish to transfer to a four-year institution after graduation at AACC. The Visual Design (Web and Graphic) Option of the Arts and Sciences Transfer Associate of Art Degree was developed specifically for students interested in pursuing bachelor’s degrees in web and interactive design.
Program Website: Visual Arts and Humanities
Range of Occupations
- Freelance web designer
- Game designer or artist
- Independent game designer
- Multimedia production designer
- Video production assistant
- Web or interactive designer
Occupations can be explored further through the virtual Careers Center.
Planning Tool: Two-Year Sequence of Courses
AACC faculty developed the following sequence of courses to encourage greater success in each student’s program of study. This sequence incorporates all of the student’s requirements for this degree and provides the student with essential notes to guide their success. It is recommended that students view and save this as they plan courses for this degree.
Biological and Physical Sciences, Computer Technology or Mathematics: 3-4 credits
See General Education Requirements for a list of approved courses.
Program Requirements: 34-39 credits
Choose from the following courses: 3-7 credits
Electives (with approval of department chair) 0 - 3 credit hours
Recommend courses listed under heading “Choose from the following courses” (above).
Note: Minimum of 60 credit hours required for degree.
Computer Competency Requirement
ART 106 meets this requirement.
Students may satisfy the diversity requirement simultaneously as they satisfy the arts and humanities, biological and physical sciences, social and behavioral sciences or health/fitness/wellness general education requirements or elective requirements. See Diversity Requirement for a list of approved courses.
Related Educational Opportunities
Agreements may exist for this program of study. To access agreements, go to www.aacc.edu/transfer.
Related Anne Arundel Community College Certificates