Jun 17, 2021
2017-2018 Catalog [PAST CATALOG]
Music - Arts and Sciences Transfer (A.A.)
Title of Major: Arts and Sciences - Music
Award: Associate of Arts degree, A.A.
Total Credit Hours: 60
Purpose: For students interested in pursuing professional training, transferring to a four-year institution or gaining personal enrichment by concentrating in music.
Planning Tool: Two-Year Sequence of Courses
General Education Requirements: 31-36 credits
An approved list of general education courses can be found in the General Education Requirements and degree program required courses section of the catalog. Choose general education courses from the following topics:
Arts and Humanities: 6 credits
Computer Technology, Interdisciplinary Studies or Mathematics: 3-4 credits
Social and Behavioral Sciences: 6 credits
Program Requirements: 9 credits
The Program Requirements for this degree are simultaneously satisfied by three of General Education Requirements listed above: (1) the Communications Arts and Humanities general education requirement, (2) the Sophomore Literature Arts and Humanities general education requirement, and (3) one of the History Social and Behavioral Sciences general education requirement courses (HIS 111 or HIS 112 or HIS 211 or HIS 212).
Area of Concentration Requirements: 24-29
Required Courses: 18 credits
Choose ensemble performance courses from the following: 3 credits
Choose three 1-credit courses or one 1-credit and one 2-credit applied music courses from the following: 3 credits
MUS Electives: 0-5 credits
Recommend students check on transfer institution’s requirements.
Computer Competency Requirement
All students in associate degree programs must demonstrate competence in computing and information technology (a computer competency requirement ). Students may satisfy the computer competency course requirement simultaneously as they satisfy the computer technology general education course or with an elective.
All students in associate degree programs must satisfy the diversity requirement. In many cases, students may satisfy this requirement simultaneously as they satisfy a general education course requirement or with an elective.
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Communicate complex ideas and information through writing, speaking, presenting, and using technology.
- Locate, organize, and analyze information from multiple sources in order to develop informed, reasoned, and substantiated arguments.
- Explain the value of tradition, innovation, and creativity.
- Apply mathematical skills, critical analysis, and logical thinking to solve problems and interpret quantitative information.
- Describe social diversity and the ways in which cultural values are historically and socially situated.
- Accurately and authentically perform or create a musical composition using the skills acquired from Ensemble and Applied Music courses.
- Analyze and create a musical composition using various analytical and composition techniques acquired from Music Theory & Ear Training and Music History courses.
This program aligns with the college’s core competencies.
Career and Educational Advancement Resources