Sep 27, 2020
Official Title of Certificate: Cyber Technology, Certificate
Total Credit Hours: 32
About the Cybersecurity, Networking and Digital Forensics Department
Additional Program Requirements
A grade of C or better is required in each Cyber Technology certificate course requirement.
Purpose: Prepares students for entry-level jobs in Customer Service and Technical Support. Gain the skills and knowledge to perform basic troubleshooting of computer systems and networks. Acquire in-depth knowledge of TCP/IP, Cisco ISO and experience configuring Cisco routers.
Created by five member colleges of the National STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) Consortium with funding from a U.S. Department of Labor Trade Adjustment Assistance Community College and Career training (TAACCCT) grant.
Related Industry Certifications
This program provides partial foundation for the following industry recognized certifications: A+ (CompTIA), Network+ (CompTIA) and the Security+ (CompTIA)and CCNA (Certified Cisco Network Administration)
Range of Occupations
- Computer User Support Specialist
- Help Desk Representative
- Technical Support Specialist
- Network Technician
Open Planner for this Certificate
Financial Aid: This program has not been approved by the U.S. Department of Education for eligibility for federal student aid. Students enrolled in this program may not be eligible to receive financial aid from the U.S. Department of Education (Pell Grants, SEOG, Federal Work-Study, Direct Loans or PLUS loans) or the Maryland Higher Education Commission (Educational Assistance Grants, Senatorial Scholarships or Delegate Scholarships). For current information on eligible programs, contact Financial Aid by calling 410-777-2203, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or stopping by a Financial Aid office.
Certificate Requirements: 32 credits
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of “knowledge base” capabilities in identifying the solutions to less common and more complex system problems [Knowledge Management].
- Demonstrate knowledge of disaster recovery and continuity of operations plans [Incident Management].
- Demonstrate knowledge of measures or indicators of system performance and availability [Information Technology Performance Assessment].
- Demonstrate knowledge of systems administration concepts [Operating Systems].
- Demonstrate knowledge of the operations and processes for diagnosing common or recurring system problems [Systems Life Cycle].
- Demonstrate knowledge of the type and frequency of routine maintenance needed to keep equipment functioning properly [Systems Life Cycle].
- Conduct open source research for troubleshooting novel client-level-problems [Knowledge Management].
- Identify possible causes of degradation of system performance or availability and initiating actions needed to mitigate this degradation [System Life Cycle].
- Test and configure network workstations and peripherals [Network Management].
- Demonstrate skill in the basic operation of computers [Computer Skills].
- Use the appropriate tools for repairing software, hardware, and peripheral equipment of a system [Computers and Electronics].
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic physical computer components and architectures, including the functions of various components and peripherals (e.g., central processing units (CPUs), network interface cards (NICs), data storage) [Computers and Electronics].
- Demonstrate knowledge of electronic devices (e.g., computer systems/components, access control devices, digital cameras, electronic organizers, hard drives, memory cards, modems, network components, printers, removable storage devices, scanners, telephones, copiers, credit card skimmers, facsimile machines, global positioning systems (GPSs)) [Hardware].
- Demonstrate knowledge of network security architecture concepts, including topology, protocols, components, and principles (e.g., application of defense in-depth) [Information Systems/Network Security].
- Identify the risks and threats to an organization’s data and providing a structured way of addressing how to safeguard these critical electronic assets.
- Demonstrate a systems approach to critical thinking.
- Demonstrate effective professional communication.
This program aligns with the college’s core competencies.
Career and Educational Advancement Resources