Sep 26, 2021
Official Title of Certificate: Culinary Arts
Total Credit Hours: 21
About the Hotel, Culinary Arts and Tourism Institute
Purpose: Prepares students for employment in the hospitality industry such as in a restaurant or hotel. The Culinary Arts Certificate prepares students for intermediate-level food preparation positions in a variety of hospitality industries, such as hotels, clubs, airlines, cruise ships, or restaurants.
Range of Occupations
- Banquet cook
- Lead cook
Additional Program Requirements:
Students are required to wear an approved chef uniform for production classes. See course description for specifics.
Statewide Tuition Reduction Program
This program of study may be designated a Statewide Tuition Reduction Program. This means that some residents of Maryland (refer to the Tuition, Fees and Payments section of this catalog) enrolled in this program of study by the first day of the term may be eligible for in-county tuition rates for courses required for program completion. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm that this program still maintains a Statewide Program status before enrolling. Please refer to the college’s Accounts Receivable Office to confirm this designation.
Certificate Requirements: 21 credits
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Apply accepted professional standards and codes of conduct in the workplace.
- Explain hospitality and culinary terminology.
- Analyze methods of service and management principles for all hospitality operations.
- Describe the dynamics of the changing global business environment.
- Discuss food and dietary issues from cultural, religious, historical, and geographical perspectives.
- Operate commercial kitchen equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Demonstrate proper cooking and sanitation techniques.
- Analyze marketing strategies to serve the current needs of the hospitality industry.
- Discuss contemporary hospitality and culinary trends.
- Apply accepted nutrition standards that lead to positive health benefits.
- Apply appropriate math skills to culinary arts operations and business environments.
This program aligns with the college’s core competencies.
Career and Educational Advancement Resources