Sep 25, 2023
EDU 252 - Autism Spectrum Disorders1 credit hour - One hour weekly; one term.
Surveys and examines autism spectrum disorders and the characteristics related to this increasingly prevalent developmental disorder. Includes functional, sensory, cognitive, communication and social/emotional skills of school age children with autism. Provides an emphasis on school and community implications related to autism and maximizing learning through various strategies and interventions.
Prerequisite(s): Eligibility for ENG 101 /ENG 101A .
- Demonstrate ability to relate federal legislation to transition needs of students with disability
- Identify needs of SWD at post-secondary level
- Relate these needs to appropriate federal laws
- Examine legal and ethical issues related to SWD at the post-secondary level
- Describe best practices and exemplary models of transition services for SWD
- analyze rationale for integrating transition services into middle and secondary school years.
- describe the five major vocational training/placement options
- identify community resources related to transition services
- identify strategies for facilitating successful transition of students with disabilities from secondary school to post-secondary employment and independent living settings
- Identify teaching strategies that enable SWD to acquire social skills necessary for success in post-secondary settings
- describe formal and informal assessments of vocational/career needs, skills, abilities and interests of students with disabilities
- devise methods to increase individual and family involvement in the transition process
- design a system that calls for daily student interaction with age-appropriate, non-disabled peers
- design an Individualized Transition Plan
- develop a lesson plan based upon goals and objectives from an Individualized Transition Plan
- Describe current trends in issues in the delivery of transition services for SWD
- identify the role of technology in the implementation of transition services
- compare/contrast current paradigms in the provision of transition services
- evaluate current research findings related to transition services
- evaluate the roles of national and international advocacy groups