May 15, 2021
Title of Major: Arts and Sciences - Plant Science, A.S.
Award: Associate of Science degree, A.S.
Total Credit Hours: 60
About Biology Department
Purpose: This program provides preparation for entry into horticulture, plant science and landscape management programs at four-year institutions.
Planning Tool: Two-Year Sequence of Courses
Arts and Humanities: 6 credits
Biological and Physical Sciences: 7 credits
Computer Technology: 4 credits
Social and Behavioral Sciences: 6 credits
Program Requirements: 9 credits
The Program Requirements for this degree are simultaneously satisfied by three of General Education Requirements listed above: (1) the Communications Arts and Humanities general education requirement, (2) the Sophomore Literature Arts and Humanities general education requirement, and (3) one of the History Social and Behavioral Sciences general education requirement courses (HIS 111 or HIS 112 or HIS 211 or HIS 212).
Area of Concentration Requirements: 25-28 credits
Satisfied by SOC 111 requirement.
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Analyze and solve problems by applying discipline-appropriate quantitative tools, concepts, and methods.
- Investigate physical phenomena experimentally, using discipline-specific tools and methodology.
- Apply discipline-specific lab safety rules.
- Apply knowledge of discipline-specific fundamental concepts to explain experimental outcomes or real world phenomena.
- Collect, analyze, and interpret information based on scientific reasoning and discipline-specific concepts.
This program aligns with the college’s core competencies
Career and Educational Advancement Resources