Jan 19, 2021
Special Admission Requirements - Rolling Admission
Title of Certificate: Massage Therapy, Certificate
Total Credit Hours: A minimum of 32
Learn more about the Massage Therapy Certificate program
Purpose: To provide a new career path for students wishing to practice as a licensed massage therapist or a registered massage practitioner.
AACC cannot confirm whether the course or program meets requirements for professional licensure in states other than Maryland. If you plan to apply for licensure in a state other than Maryland, contact that state’s licensing board to determine whether the AACC course or program meets requirements for licensure in that state. If you need assistance finding contact information for your state, or if you need additional information regarding professional licensure, please contact the School of Health Sciences at 410-777-7310.
Range of Occupations
- Licensed Massage Therapist (LMT)
- Registered Massage Practitioner (RMP)
Additional Program Requirements
Students must receive a minimum final grade of C in all massage therapy courses and in BIO 230, BIO 231-BIO 232 or BIO 233-BIO 234, in order to progress in the sequence of massage courses.
Students enrolled in the massage therapy course sequence are required to comply with the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) Code of Ethics.
Health Manpower Shortage: This program of study may be designated a Health Manpower Shortage Tuition Reduction Program. This means that some residents of Maryland (see the Tuition, Fees and Payments section of this catalog) enrolled in this program of study by the first day of the term may be eligible for in-county tuition rates for courses required for program completion. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm that this program still maintains a Health Manpower Shortage Program status before enrolling. Please refer to the college’s Accounts Receivable Office to confirm this designation.
Anne Arundel Community College and/or the School of Health Sciences reserves the right to revise requirements for admission into the Health Sciences programs, the selection criteria and procedures, and the required courses for programs of study as deemed necessary without prior notification.
Financial Aid: This program has not been approved by the U.S. Department of Education for eligibility for federal student aid. Students enrolled in this program may not be eligible to receive financial aid from the U.S. Department of Education (Pell Grants, SEOG, Federal Work-Study, Direct Loans or PLUS loans) or the Maryland Higher Educations Commission (Educational Assistance Grants, Senatorial Scholarships or Delegate Scholarships). For current information on eligible programs, contact Financial Aid by calling 410-777-2203, emailing email@example.com or stopping by a Financial Aid office.
- Attendance at a program information session is recommended or call 410-777-7310 for schedule. Detailed information regarding profession and academic requirements will be discussed.
- Submit a completed program application to Florestano Building Room 100.
- Eligibility for ENG 111 or ENG 115 or ENG 121 .
- Completion of prerequisite course MAS 100 with a grade of C or better before submitting program application. If this requirement is not met, application will not be reviewed.
- 18 years of age or older on the first day of class (MAS 110 - Fundamentals of Massage Therapy ).
- Must have a minimum adjusted grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 at this college.
- Foreign educated students must have college transcripts evaluated by one of the following credential evaluators: ECE (Educational Credential Evaluators) at www.ece.org or at WES (World Eduction Services) at www.wes.org.
- Foreign educated students whose native language is not English must successfully pass the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a minimum score of 550 (213 is the equivalent computer score and 79 is the equivalent Internet based score) OR must have completed the ENG 111 /ENG 112 , ENG 115 /ENG 116 , or ENG 121 course sequence with grades of “C” or better prior to applying to the Massage Therapy program. Anne Arundel Community College’s code for TOEFL is 5019.
Transfer from other Massage Therapy Programs
Students who have successfully completed massage therapy courses within the past two years in an accredited massage therapy program may qualify for the second or third term of the massage therapy course sequence. Eligibility for second and third term courses is based on the criteria described in the transfer requirements available from the massage therapy department.
Students will be admitted to the Massage Therapy course sequence on a rolling admission basis. Students will apply for the Massage Therapy program only after meeting all academic and admission criteria. Once the applicant’s admission criteria have been verified, that student receives conditional acceptance for the next available seat. Applications will be rejected if incomplete. Incomplete applications will be sent back to the student and can be resubmitted once they are complete. Students need only apply once to the program, providing their application is complete. A future seat will be slotted for them once the student meets the criteria for admission.
To be considered for conditional acceptance, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must satisfactorily complete all academic and admission requirements.
- Final acceptance into the program shall be contingent upon satisfactory completion of a criminal background check and satisfactory completion of a Health Examination Record.
- Information and deadline for completion will be sent in applicant’s conditional acceptance packet. These are not to be completed prior to acceptance notification.
Students who are conditionally accepted to this program of study will be required to submit a Health Examination Record completed by a physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant validating that the student meets the technical standard of good physical and mental health as established by the School of Health Sciences, and verifying that the student is free of communicable diseases as evidenced by required immunizations/titers.
Criminal Background Checks and Drug Screening
This program requires the satisfactory completion of a criminal background check and possible drug screening. For complete details, see the Health Sciences section of this catalog.
Certificate Graduation Requirements
To graduate with a certificate, students must have demonstrated eligibility for ENG 111 or ENG 115 . See Academic Regulations for all Graduation Requirements.
Massage Therapy Course Sequence
Certificate Requirements: 32 credits
Career and Educational Advancement Resources