May 28, 2022
Special Admission Requirements - Program Application Deadline: July 15*
Title of Major: Health Information Technology, A.A.S.
Award: Associate of Applied Science degree, A.A.S.
Total Credit Hours: A minimum of 63
Learn more about the Health Information Technology Degree program
Purpose: To prepare students in the efficient use of electronic health information to make the health care system more effective. Health information technicians have the ability to organize and turn data into information and knowledge including being able to determine who needs what information, when and where; how information is defined; how information accuracy and consistency is verified and how information is explained.
The AACC Health Information Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
Additional Program Requirements
A grade of C or better in all Health Information Technology and general education courses is required to progress in the program.
Range of Occupations
- Benefits coordinator
- Cancer registrar
- Coding professional
- Collections clerk
- Health information management (HIM) clerk
- HIM revenue cycle auditor
- Health information technician
- Insurance claims clerk
- Medical biller
- Medical office administrator
- Patient care coordinator
- Patient registrar
* If application deadline falls on a weekend, then applications will be accepted until the close of business on the next business day.
Anne Arundel Community College and/or the School of Health Sciences reserves the right to revise requirements for admission into the Health Sciences programs, the selection criteria and procedures, and the required courses for programs of study as deemed necessary without prior notification.
- Attendance at a program information session or call 410-777-7310 for schedule. You may also view the online information session. Detailed information regarding program, profession, admission and academic requirements and selection criteria will be discussed.
- Submit a completed program application to Florestano 100.
- Eligibility for ENG 111 or ENG 115 or ENG 121 .
- Eligibility for general education math (see General Education Mathematics Requirements ).
(Note: If developmental courses in English or mathematics are needed, the student will not be eligible for the program until completion of all developmental courses.)
- Prerequisites must be completed with a minimum grade of “C” in each course by the application deadline.
- Must have a minimum adjusted grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 at this college.
- Foreign educated students: must have their college transcripts evaluated by one of the following credential evaluators: ECE (Educational Credential Evaluators) at www.ece.org or WES (World Education Services) at www.wes.org.
- Foreign educated students: must successfully pass the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) with a minimum score of 550 (213 is the equivalent computer score and 79 is the equivalent Internet based score) OR must have completed the ENG 111 /ENG 112 or ENG 115 /ENG 116 or ENG 121 course sequence with grades of C or better prior to applying to the Health Information Technology program. Anne Arundel Community College’s code for TOEFL is 5019.
Students will be admitted to the health information technology program each fall as the number of students permits. Applications received by the deadline will be assured consideration based on space availability. Applications received after the deadline may be considered on a space-available basis. Applications will be available in the Health Sciences office, Florestano Building Room 100 and on the college website after Dec. 1 for fall. To be considered for conditional acceptance, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must satisfactorily complete all academic and admission requirements.
- Final acceptance into the program shall be contingent upon satisfactory completion of a criminal background check and satisfactory completion of a Health Examination Record. Information and deadline for completion will be sent in applicant’s conditional acceptance packet. These are not to be completed prior to acceptance notification.
Students who are conditionally accepted to this program of study will be required to submit a Health Examination Record completed by a physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant validating that the student meets the technical standard of good physical and mental health as established by the School of Health Sciences, and verifying that the student is free of communicable diseases as evidenced by required immunizations/titers.
Criminal Background Checks and Drug Screening
This program requires the satisfactory completion of a criminal background check and possible drug screening. For complete details, see the Health Sciences section of this catalog.
Limitations of hospital, clinical or laboratory facilities necessitate certain enrollment restrictions. An applicant who has been convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor may not be eligible for licensure as a Health Information Technician. See the Health Information Technology program coordinator for additional information.
Planning Tool: Two-Year Sequence of Courses
Health Information Technology Course Sequence
All courses must be completed with a grade of C or better.
Total credit hours: 16-17
Total credit hours: 12-15
Total First Year Credits: 42-46
Second Year - Term 2 - First 8-Weeks
Second Year - Term 2 - Second 8-Weeks
Total Second Year Credits: 21
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Adhere to health information requirements and standards.
- Utilize clinical classifications.
- Support data collection and reimbursement systems.
- Abstract health care data for analysis and presentation.
- Adhere to security, privacy, and confidentiality policies.
- Use information technology systems to process health information.
- Apply organizational management techniques to improve efficiency of departmental functions and services.
- Model professional behaviors, ethics and appearance.
- Promote interest and stimulate growth in health information management as a profession.
- Meet eligibility requirements to take national certification examination.
This program aligns with all the college’s core competencies.
Career and Educational Advancement Resources