May 28, 2022
Official Title of Certificate: Fundamentals of Cooking and Baking Option
Total Credit Hours: 19
About the Hotel, Culinary Arts and Tourism Institute
Purpose: Prepares students for entry level employment in the hospitality industry such as in a restaurant, hotel or bakery. This certificate builds toward Hotel/Restaurant Management degree, in either the Baking and Pastry Arts concentration or the Culinary Arts concentration. This certificate also contains prerequisite courses for either the Culinary Arts certificate or the Baking and Pastry certificate.
Range of Occupations
- Line Cook
- Prep Cook
- Pastry cook
Additional Program Requirements
Students are required to wear an approved chef uniform for production classes. See course description for specifics.
Statewide Tuition Reduction Program
This program of study may be designated a Statewide Tuition Reduction Program. This means that some residents of Maryland (refer to the Tuition, Fees and Payments section of this catalog) enrolled in this program of study by the first day of the term may be eligible for in-county tuition rates for courses required for program completion. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm that this program still maintains a Statewide Program status before enrolling. Please refer to the college’s Accounts Receivable Office to confirm this designation.
Certificate Requirements: 19 credits
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Apply accepted professional standards and codes of conduct in the workplace.
- Explain hospitality, culinary and baking terminology.
- Analyze methods of service and for all hospitality operations.
- Discuss food and dietary issues from a nutrition and health perspective.
- Operate commercial kitchen equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Demonstrate proper cooking, baking and sanitation techniques.
- Analyze marketing strategies to serve the current needs of the hospitality industry.
- Discuss contemporary hospitality and culinary trends.
- Apply accepted nutrition standards that lead to positive health benefits.
- Apply appropriate math skills to culinary and baking and pastry arts operations and business environments.
This program aligns with the college’s core competencies.
Career and Educational Advancement Resources