Sep 29, 2022
Official Title of Major: Network Security, Certificate
Total Credit Hours: 16
About the Cybersecurity, Networking and Digital Forensics Department
Purpose: Gain the skills and knowledge required to configure LAN and WAN networks and to understand the basics of network cybersecurity theory and operation. Acquire in-depth knowledge of TCP/IP, Cisco IOS and experience configuring Cisco routers and switches.
Related Industry Certifications
This program provides partial foundation for the following industry recognized certifications: Network+ (CompTIA), and Security+ (CompTIA) industry certification exams.
Range of Occupations
- Customer service technician
- Help desk technician
- Internet security specialist
- Internet systems administrator
- IT compliance specialist
- Network administrator
- Network analyst
- Network support technician
- Service center technician
- Technical writer
Additional Certificate Requirements
Students must satisfy the prerequisites for each course in the certificate or have permission from the department chair to take each course.
Open/Print Planner for this Certificate
Students must satisfy the prerequisites for each course in the certificate or have permission of the academic chair to take each course.
Certificate Requirements: 16 credits
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Effectively use Internet and Web technologies.
- Design a network from scratch as well as maintain, upgrade, and troubleshoot an existing network.
- Configure a router, manage Cisco IOS software, configure routing protocols on routers, and set the access lists to control the access to routers.
- Identify the risks and threats to an organization’s data and provide a structured way of addressing the safeguarding of these critical electronic assets.
Students may wish to also review requirements for the related majors or programs linked below.
Career and Educational Advancement Resources