Jan 29, 2022
Official Title of Major: Visual Arts Transfer - Graphic and Web Design, A.A.
Award: Associate of Arts degree, A.A.
Total Credit Hours: 60
About the Visual Arts and Humanities Department
Purpose: Prepares students for transfer to a four-year web or graphic design program at a traditional or art school. After graduation from a transfer institution, students will be eligible for an entry level position in the web or graphic design industry. Students should work closely with the Graphic Design and Web Design faculty to identify potential transfer schools. Students who already have a degree, wish to get a job after completion of only an associate degree, or wish to focus on just visual design, should check out the Visual Arts Professional A.A.S. Graphic Design, and Visual Arts Web Design Area of Concentrations and Certificates.
Planning Tool: Two-Year Sequence of Courses
Visual Arts Transfer Degree Program Requirements
The program core for this degree consists of ART 100 (satisfied through the Arts & Humanities General Education Requirement as listed below); ART 106 (satisfied through theTechnology Requirement as listed below); and ART 125 (satisfied through the area of concentration requirement as listed below).
Students must complete all of these courses with a grade of C or better.
English Composition: 6 credits
Arts and Humanities: 6 credits
Area of Concentration: 29 credits
Required Courses: 13 credits
Choose three courses from the following: 9 credits
Students transferring to UMBC should consider ART 160 as an elective.
Technology Requirement: 3 credits
Electives: 4 credits
Recommend students check on transfer institution’s requirements. No more than 3 credit hours of physical activity courses may be used as electives.
All students in associate degree programs must satisfy the Diversity Requirement . In many cases, students may satisfy this requirement simultaneously as they satisfy a general education course requirement or with an elective.
Satisfied by ART 106 .
Unless they are in a degree that is exempt, all students in associate degree programs must satisfy the Wellness Requirement . In many cases, students may satisfy this requirement simultaneously as they satisfy a general education course requirement or with an elective.
Upon successful completion of the Visual Arts Transfer - Graphic & Web Concentration, students will be able to:
- Apply principles of design to the creation of original works of art.
- Use different media to solve design problems.
- Express personal and client’s points of view in digital and print designs.
- Effectively use new technologies to express visual ideas.
- Appraise the primary historical periods and cultural trends in art and graphic design.
- Develop a professional portfolio of work that demonstrates growth and maturation in personal artistic expression and that is suitable to present at interviews for both transfer and job-related activities.
- Communicate with a client about design projects.
- Develop client-based design work.
- Appraise typography and word usage within design.
- Investigate different graphic formats.
- Design for different platforms and devices.
- Write script for web pages.
This program aligns with the college’s core competencies.
Career and Educational Advancement Resources