Dec 10, 2022
Official Title of Major: Public Health Professions - Public Health, A.S.
Award: Associate of Science degree, A.S.
Total Credit Hours: 60
Learn more about the Public Health Professions Degree program
Purpose: This program is for students to pursue career options in public health including health education and promotion, community health, patient navigation, epidemiology or other related health profession pathways. Students may transfer to a four-year institution in public health, community or behavioral health or gain personal enrichment.
Additional Program Requirements
A grade of C or better in all Public Health Professions courses is required to progress in the program. Please note this program requires completion of a service learning project (PBH 203 ).
Range of Occupations
- Community health worker
- Health educator
- Health promotion
- Workplace health and wellness
- Patient navigator in hospital or clinic setting
Planning Tool: Two-Year Sequence of Courses
Arts and Humanities: 6 credits
Biological and Physical Sciences: 8 credits
Social and Behavioral Sciences: 6 credits
Additional General Education Requirements: 6 credits
Program Requirements: 25 credits
Satisfied by CTA 100 .
Satisfied by HEA 111 .
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Describe the fundamental tenets of epidemiology as applied to public health.
- Discuss Healthy People 2020 in relation to public health planning.
- Delineate the specific professions and contributions to the public health model.
- Analyze health statistics related to targeting unhealthy behaviors and planning strategies for improvement.
- Analyze behaviorist theory in relation to the development of health betterment planning.
- Develop basic strategies for health improvement.
This program aligns with all the college’s core competencies.
Career and Educational Advancement Resources