Jun 26, 2022
Official Title of Major: Arts and Sciences Transfer - Music, A.A.
Award: Associate of Arts degree, A.A.
Total Credit Hours: 60
About the Performing Arts Department
Purpose: For students interested in pursuing professional training, transferring to a four-year institution or gaining personal enrichment by concentrating in music.
Planning Tool: Two-Year Sequence of Courses
Arts and Sciences Transfer Program Core Course Requirements
The core courses for this degree are simultaneously satisfied by three of General Education Requirements listed below: (1) the Communications Arts and Humanities general education requirement, (2) the Sophomore Literature Arts and Humanities general education requirement, and (3) one of the History Social and Behavioral Sciences general education requirement courses (HIS 111 or HIS 112 or HIS 211 or HIS 212 ).
Arts and Humanities: 6 credits
Mathematics: 3 credits
Students must choose one Mathematics course from the following:
Social and Behavioral Sciences: 6 credits
Additional Requirements: 6 credits
Area of Concentration Requirements: 26 credits
Required Courses: 18 credits
Choose three ensemble performance courses from the following: 3 credits
Choose three applied music courses from the following: 3-5 credits
Elective: 0-2 credits
Recommend students check on transfer institution’s requirements. No more than 3 credits of physical activity courses may be used as electives.
All students in associate degree programs must satisfy the Diversity Requirement . In many cases, students may satisfy this requirement simultaneously as they satisfy a general education course requirement or with an elective.
All students in associate degree programs must satisfy the Technology Requirement . In many cases, students may satisfy this requirement simultaneously as they satisfy a general education course requirement or with an elective.
Unless they are in a degree that is exempt, all students in associate degree programs must satisfy the Wellness Requirement . In many cases, students may satisfy this requirement simultaneously as they satisfy a general education course requirement or with an elective.
Upon successful completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Communicate complex ideas and information through writing, speaking, presenting, and using technology.
- Locate, organize, and analyze information from multiple sources in order to develop informed, reasoned, and substantiated arguments.
- Explain the value of tradition, innovation, and creativity.
- Apply mathematical skills, critical analysis, and logical thinking to solve problems and interpret quantitative information.
- Describe social diversity and the ways in which cultural values are historically and socially situated.
- Accurately and authentically perform or create a musical composition using the skills acquired from Ensemble and Applied Music courses.
- Analyze and create a musical composition using various analytical and composition techniques acquired from Music Theory & Ear Training and Music History courses.
This program aligns with the college’s core competencies.
Students may wish to also review requirements for the related majors or programs linked below.
Career and Educational Advancement Resources